How Long After Spraying Roundup Is It Safe for Dogs


How Long After Spraying Roundup Is It Safe for Dogs

As an affiliate, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases. We get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.

Spraying Roundup is a poison that kills plants by breaking down the biochemistry in cell walls, which works on any living thing. The active ingredient in Roundup is glyphosate. Glyphosate was declared a carcinogen (cancer-causing substance) by the EU and IARC, an agency linked to the World Health Organization. The EPA has also never fully tested its safety for animals or humans. According to below, it is used to kill weeds between growing crops, so they don’t compete with other plants for nutrients.

How Long After Spraying Roundup Is It Safe for Dogs

Many pet owners are confused about whether their pets can safely be around Roundup after it has been sprayed around their yards and gardens. They wonder if it poses a threat to their pet’s health. For this reason, today, I will discuss all the necessary information on how long after spraying roundup is it safe for dogs to roam around your garden.

How Long After Spraying Roundup Is It Safe for Dogs?

We all know that dogs and cats are not allowed to be around any insecticide sprays. There many reasons for this, whether the pet is outside or inside the home. The primary reason has to do with the toxicity of pesticides which can cause major organ damage and even death if pets have direct contact with it.

After spraying Roundup weed killer on your yard or yourself, wait at least 24 hours before allowing your dog outside. This will give the product time to work and avoid any residue that may be left on the grass.

How Long After Spraying Roundup Is It Safe for Dogs

If you have sprayed Roundup on your property, you need to be careful if your pet is outside or around your home. It is best to bring them inside, especially if it is a hot day.

You can also ensure that they stay in an area away from where you sprayed and wash their hair immediately after coming inside. Checking for any signs of irritation on their fur coat can also help prevent problems later on, such as vomiting and diarrhea caused by organ damage. 

If you are personally spraying your body, clothing, lawn furniture, etc., with Roundup weed killer, then there won’t be any residue left on your skin or clothes which will harm the dog. But, it’s best to keep them inside while spraying and for at least 2 hours afterward.

This is especially important if your dog has a short coat since they may be sensitive to any spray chemical residue in their fur. The chemicals in Roundup can also lead to liver damage, discoloration of the skin, diarrhea, and vomiting if ingested orally by dogs.

Even though there is no direct contact between the spray and your pet when using outside in commercial weed killers, some types of animals like birds and fish will drink from contaminated puddles that have been sprayed with this herbicide mix. 

Why is Roundup Harmful to Dogs?

The main component in Roundup, glyphosate, can be detrimental to dogs if ingested. Glyphosate hinders an enzyme required for plants to generate proteins. In dogs, this can result in anemia, as their red blood cells are unable to transport oxygen as efficiently. Furthermore, glyphosate may cause renal problems, as it can lead to dysfunction and damage within the kidneys.

What to Do If My Dog Ingests Roundup?

Metacam can be detected in urine samples for up to five days after ingestion, so if you’re able to give a urine sample within 72 hours of your vet’s prescribed dosage of Metacam being administered, it may still appear on lab tests. What do you need to know before giving your dog Metacam?

What to Do if My Dog Ingests Roundup

Within 15 minutes of ingestion, induce vomiting using hydrogen peroxide at 1 teaspoon per cup of water (use three teaspoons per ten pounds of body weight). This can be done by placing some into their mouth (try not to get any into their eyes).

After five minutes, use an oral syringe or turkey baster to squirt the rest of the solution into their mouth. Monitor them for at least an hour after vomiting, looking specifically for symptoms such as diarrhea, pale gums, and collapse – in which case you should contact your vet immediately.

Many chemical products have been designed especially for pets who may have ingested chemicals or poisons. If you purchase these products, be sure that they are certified by animal poison control centers and veterinarians in your area. You can search online to find those resources near you (i.e., ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center).

If nothing is done within 30 minutes of ingestion, there is still hope as long as it was not done on purpose by taking hemlock leaves  (this is a big no-no for dogs to ingest as it will result in death). If your dog has eaten deadly nightshade leaves (also known as belladonna), then give them vitamin K1 at 1 mg per pound every 12 hours. This can be found at any feed or pet food store, usually in the section that sells horse supplies.


I hope that all the information stated here will serve you the purpose of knowing how long after spraying roundup is it safe for dogs. Thank you, and have a good day!

You may read also: Why Does My Dog Stretch All the Time